Once you have bought the best toilet seat after going through reviews of best toilet consumer reports, it’s time that you follow the steps to install a toilet.
Here are 12 easy steps to install any type of toilet with ease:
- Shut off the water supply. Usually, a small stopper handle is found very close to the tank.
- Remove the old toilet by unscrewing the support screws on each side.
- Remove all of the old wax with a sturdy trowel or putty knife. Tip: cover the hole with an old cloth to avoid bad smells and to prevent anything from falling into the hole.
- Install the bolts in the flange that will be used to secure the new toilet. Tip: check that the new toilet will be level. Try it out by putting the new toilet in its place.
- Install the new wax washer. Tip: To help you, turn the bowl and attach the wax washer. Make sure it sticks well to the wall.
- Remove the cloth covering the hole and place the new bowl. Line up with the bolts and place the toilet correctly and plumb. Apply pressure to seal the wax donut
- Install washers and tightening bolts, using an adjustable wrench. Tip: Be careful not to overtighten the bolts, you risk breaking the ceramic of the base of the toilet, which is rather fragile.
- Attach the decorative caps over the bolts and onto the rod. Tip: If the rods are too long, cut them with a hacksaw and install the caps with a little silicone.
- Install the tank. Secure the rubber washer underneath and remove the tightening bolts at the bottom of the tank.
- Lay the tank in place and make sure to line up the mounting bolts. Tip: Make sure you tighten the bolts properly. Use a screwdriver through the inside of the bowl and hold the bolts with an adjustable wrench.
- Connect the water supply hose.
- Complete the installation of the new toilet by securing the seat.